We’re thrilled that you are interested in becoming more involved with BayCon! Each of us on staff, from volunteers to executives, started as a convention fan/attendee who wanted to give something back. If you would like to apply for a staff position, please carefully review Get Involved! to find out about our departments, levels of involvement, and expectations for convention staff and volunteers. Follow the steps below to be connected with BayCon as a full-time staffer.
If you have an idea of how or where you’d like to help, the first step is to e-mail that department. If you can’t find that information on our contact page or are not sure which department is the best fit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will connect you.
In your email, let us know:
- What’s your convention volunteer experience?
- What departments have you worked with in the past?
- What size/type of convention have you worked for or do you most like attending?
- What’s your level of involvement? Have you been a volunteer/gopher, or have you been general staff or run a department or other larger piece of the puzzle?
- What would you like to do?
- Is there something you have helped with at a convention in the past that you enjoy and want to do again?
- Are you interested in volunteering during the convention or becoming a full-fledged staffer?
- Do you have any special skills or hobbies that could translate into what you bring to the table?
Once you’ve made contact with a department, you will need to complete our volunteer application and be approved for a placement on staff. Every new volunteer staffer must complete and bring the following paperwork to a staff meeting:
- The Artistic Solutions Volunteer Application. This form and the verification of your government issued ID establishes you as a part of our Volunteer Pool. This form is valid until you move/your address changes or the ID expires.
- The BayCon 2017 Staff Form. This form is completed every year and is specific for the event in question. You must already have the Volunteer Application on file for this form to be processed & accepted. It must be complete and signed (see below) before it can be turned in – it is not the job of the HR coordinator to obtain approvals.Staff Forms must be resubmitted each year and require two signatures (hiring and approval) to be complete. Typically, staff leadership “hire” one level down and “approve” two levels down. See below for a summary of signatures required for each level of BayCon.
|Position||Hired by (primary signature)||Approved by (secondary signature)|
|Chairman||Board of Directors|
|Division Second||Division Head||Chairman|
|Department Head||Division Head||Chairman|
|Department Second||Department Head||Division Head|
|Staff||Department Head||Division Head|
Once all approvals are in place, all forms and a $30 staff membership fee should be submitted to HR. The membership fee includes a full weekend pass and room credit. It does not cover a staff t-shirt, in the event that one is produced. Staff shirts are an additional optional expense and usually run about $15 – they must be paid for in advance (we only order only the quantity and sizes that have been paid for).