Welcome to the 2016 BayCon Variety Show!
This year’s theme is “It’s All about Space!” Any and all are welcome to enter. Most important is that you are creative. The entry wish list includes the following;
Shakespeare in Klingon has been done. – The real challenge is Vulcan. Bring it! *
Sing your favorite song. About space, or whatever.
Lip synching, so much to choose from.
Dance troupes highlighting all levels of human ability as a SOLAR SYSTEM! *
Costumes of all kind- we have a place for you to walk the stage in style.
Blindfolded Tribble Juggling. (Don’t fail me, I want to see this.) *
Space themed PG 13 Burlesque? Someone Please. Is this a thing?
Got a group of actors? SHOW US!
Dramatic reading of your writing? Yes, really.
If you can think of it, and have fun with it in less than ten minutes then we want to see it. Please make sure it’s within a PG13 rating. Read the rules below, make sure your act fits, and then submit the form by April 30th. If you have any questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Rules for BayCon Variety Show 2016
- Any costume appearing on-stage and on video must be suitable for a general audience. All content presented in the Variety Show should reflect the BayCon code of conduct.
- Content should be rated MPAA PG-13: Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material inappropriate for children under 13 is ok. However any questionable content is subject to approval by the BayCon Variety Show Director. Specifically excessively vulgar language, blatantly sexual situations. Bondage and BDSM gear is unacceptable. Collars and leashes may be worn discreetly if their use is a necessary part of the act, with approval.
- No throwing of items from the stage for the safety of the performers and audience.
- Performances may consist of individuals or groups.
- An act can be made to highlight the theme of this year’s con, but it is not required. We welcome any act to participate.
- Acts should be between 1 and 10 minutes long. Time is subject to approval by the BayCon Variety Show Director.
- Costumes do not need to have a minimum of 1 minute stage time. A simple catwalk to display your costume is fine.
- Costumes will be presented during one section of the Variety Show. They will be given ribbons separately from the rest of the acts in the show.
- Please submit your act through the Google Doc Form available here! You will not be accepted without submitting a form. The cutoff date is April 30th. Participants should submit their forms as soon as possible.
- Information needed on the form must include any technical needs. Variety Show Director will review them along with the Tech staff and determine what can be accommodated. Anything not covered on the form can be emailed to email@example.com. Reference the name of your act in the subject. You will receive a response within a few days. Check in again if you do not receive a response within five days.
- We may not be able to accommodate all requests depending on staff or equipment availability.
- Wireless microphones, chairs, tables, a podium will be available.
- Video submissions can be made. A script must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as well as the video itself for review. Please email to discuss the best way to send whatever file format you have before sending. Still send the entry form.
- All participants are expected to attend a rehearsal/run through of the show. This will take into account scheduling as much as possible, and will happen with as many participants present as possible.
- If you are participating in programming please indicate this on your entry form so we can coordinate scheduling.
- If you have any unusual costume pieces, bring them with you. You do not need your full costumes; just enough to feel how you will move on stage and in limited lighting.
- Music should be submitted as an MP3 file on a USB Drive. Be sure to clearly label it so it can be returned to you.
- All participants will receive an email detailing when rehearsal will be held once the convention schedule is available or two weeks before the convention, whichever is furthest out from the convention. The rehearsal will be in the same space as the Variety Show.
- Herein is the disclaimer that not all things can be foreseen; the preceding rules do not entirely encompass the BayCon Variety Show rules as unforeseen circumstances may occur. Please contact email@example.com if there are any questions.
- All decisions made by the BayCon Variety Show Director regarding the BayCon Variety Show are final.
- Finally, have fun!